Friday, December 18, 2009

IT (Part 1)... No, I didn't mean ET.

Well. My coordinator finally sent me the info about the subject I will teach next year "Information Technology in the classroom" I forgot to say in th previous blog that this is the first time I will teach in the university I Graduated from. I am a teacher aid but it's not the same.


When I started reading the syllabus and objectives I felt kind of lost. I realized that first I need to do research about what Information Technology (IT) is about so that I have a clear idea and then I can contribute with ideas to improve the syllabus.

After reading four pdfs with some research about it I still couldn't understand what it was. I wanted a clear definition. So I went to google, type "IT define" and it sent me to the page where all of us go to look for instant definitions... Yes! "Wikipedia". According to Wikipedia, (that by the way it is cited at the same time by the ITAA - Information Technology Association of America ). It refers to and I quote:

"The study, design, development, implementation, support or management of computer-based Information systems, particularly software applications and computer hardware." It deals with the use of electronic computers and computer software to convert, store, protect, process, transmit, and securely retrieve information."



In simple words. The idea is that my students teachers will learn how to use technology tools like an in focus, a digital camera, a CD, set the camera and audio for a video conference, etc in order to use them in education.


Yeaph. Sounds easy for some people, especially for those who are constantly in touch with computers, cell phones, etc. But for other is is something new that can even cause panic. I don't know my students but I'm sure It will be a great experience for me as a new University teacher and as an IT learner. Believe me, While I am writing this I have tons of ideas I want to apply in classes. Since they are semi presencial, I will try to teach them in situ how to use the equipment and on line how they can use the tool in education and of course to actually do it.

I Guess now that I have everything clear I can re - read the syllabus, gather more ideas in order to get started.

6 comments:

  • Jackie said...

    Thers's alot to learn about technaolgy and education. Considering all the gadgets out there there are so many options to get to the same place. You will definitely get there!

    César said...

    Way to go, Mitoh! And I am a big fan of Wikipedia myself, even though it's not always a reliable source.

    By the way, you love Homer, don't you? :-)

    Anonymous said...

    Hi - You're on the right track. Try going to Wikipedia "CALL" - Computer Aided Language Learning. I used parts of that article to introduce IT in the Classroom.

    olga said...

    So that means you will be teaching students like Justin is teaching us. You´ll do gread Mitoh!

    Hugo Velasco said...

    "IT" is a great course , it's very demanding and challenging , but i am pretty sure you'll get it.

    Gladys Ipanaque said...

    Guess your students are going to have lots of fun in this class. As Cesar and Karen posted, you will find lots of ideas in wikipedia.